Rwanda

Rwanda

Sunday, January 1, 2017

Breaking up with sugar in 2016

I'll keep this one brief although I have much more to say on the matter.  The 'a' on my computer is broken so I have to copy/paste every time I need a letter 'a'-----ugh.

As I reflect on my health related choices from this past year, I'm a tad tickled that New Year's resolutions/reflections are taking on a whole new meaning for me than those of the past.  

This is my first year that I haven't spent January 1st lamenting poor food choices over the last year and then making myself empty promises about the year to come. Since cutting sugar, then gluten, and most dairy 9 months ago, this New Years is atypical.  

Here's my first breakfast of 2017:


A year ago I would've thought this green smoothie was the last breakfast in the world I'd prepare and even enjoy.  No, it's not delicious but it sure feels great to start my day with a powerhouse smoothie packed with tons of good stuff. (coconut milk, cucumber, spinach, ginger, banana, avocado, chia seeds, water).  I experimented with juicing for awhile but switched to smoothies about a month ago.  I used to think not nice things about people who consumed weird stuff like this, but now I'm convinced it's a great way to get in a ton of nutrients easily. 

“Let food be thy medicine and medicine be thy food.” --Hippocrates

Now don't be fooled.  Please notice that I didn't post a photo of my oil and salt ladened Chinese food I consumed for lunch.  There's still plenty of room for growth and resolutions despite me cutting gluten & sugar.  

My relationship with food is still something that I often battle with; however, I'm just so thankful that instead of this January being filled with regret it's met with joy that sugar's hold on me has finally been released.  Praise God


I just want to conclude with a couple of my favorite 'sweets' that help me curb my sweet tooth since sugar and I broke up.
.  

Banana 'ice cream':  Blend frozen bananas with some vanilla, cinnamon, peanut butter then top 
with a few walnuts (Thanks to Linda McConnell for sharing this idea with me)

 

These look just like moist cockroaches to me, but I was desperate for something sweet one day and discovered these bad boys:  dates. 

They certainly aren't tasty looking but sure are yummy when paired with peanuts.  If you think about cockroaches though even once, you'll ruin the taste for sure.  

People decide to change because they elevate their loves.--David Brooks

Happy New Year Ya'll

No comments:

Post a Comment