Rwanda

Rwanda

Thursday, May 18, 2017

Ambulance

We've had our vehicle now just over a year and we continue to count this as a huge blessing in our work here.

I frequently think and remark how hard it was to not have easy transportation the first 8 months of being here and how absolutely wonderful it is now!

Just this week I transported two moms urgently to the hospital who needed to give birth imminently.  In the US I transported many moms via ambulance to our facility in San Antonio; however, I was never the ambulance driver and the nurse simultaneously.

I've learned you can actually drive quickly and carefully and reach back to palpate contractions in the backseat at the same time.  Also, a coat hanger makes a terrific IV fluid hook, and a shower curtain liner is invaluable to have in your car at all times to throw over the seat before a laboring mom gets in.

Recently we transported a mom late at night with myself, our client, the doctor, family members, and equipment squeezed in tightly.  We had to drive up a giant hill and my foot was completely flooring the gas and we were still creeping along b/c of the steep slope.  I just thought, "thank you God for this beast of a car and please help us get this mom where she needs to be quickly."

The other mom was having her 11th child.  Yes, you read that correctly.  That trip added new meaning to, "Time is of the essence".

My kids think it's funny what has transpired in our car while they are at school or sleeping when I tell them the next day :) 






1 comment:

  1. What amazing, literally life giving experiences! Appreciate you sharing!

    ReplyDelete